The space in which we are standing is an annex to the northern part of the nave, for the use of which we have received information from oral sources, as well as from the fragmentary frescoes which are preserved inside it.

The building was originally open on all sides except the south, and within it stood a small room, between the church and what is now the exhibition area. In accordance with the oral traditions of the island, this room started to function as a Funeral Chapel in the late 15th century. It is speculated that this use may be linked to the heavy toll Rhodes paid to the plague (cholera) in the same period. Since it was open and airy, it was an ideal place for funeral services and for the funeral vigil of infected dead. In this manner, the mourners were protected from the spread of the lethal disease. Indeed, it is said that from those years onwards and up to the 20th century, it was established in Lindos for the vigil of the dead to take place in church and not in homes, as traditionally done throughout the rest of Greece.

However the dedicatory inscriptions of murals that have survived until today in its interior show that eminent citizens of Lindos were buried in this area in the post-Byzantine era. One of the best preserved frescoes is the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus, which according to the almost illegible dedicatory inscription that accompanies it was completed in November 1673, in memory of Domna, wife of Chatzitzanetis, a ship-owner who was a significant donor of the church.