"A walk through space and time"

001 map of lindos

Ayios Georgios Pahymahiotis

The church of St. George Pahymahiotis is located on the northeast of the village and it belongs to the 'domed cross-in-square-contracted' architectural type. Remains of wall paintings are preserved in two layers in the interior of the church, dating back to the late 14th century, as evidenced by their inscriptions. According to a written inscription on the south side of the front of the arch it was "erected from the ground up and wall-painted" by a priest and his wife Kali (i.e. the good one) in 1394/5. A second inscription, which refers to the Ecumenical Patriarch Antonios IV (1389-1390, 1391-1397), survives under the first one. The church also preserves frescoes on the south wall of the nave with full-body depictions of saints in plush clothing, prelates under arches in the Sanctuary and part of the scene of the Ascension in the vault, as well as a later giant depiction of St. George on horseback dating from the 19th century, which is a work of a hagiographer from Symi.

A small old vaulted church dedicated to St. Demetrius is found on the northern part of the acropolis of Lindos. Two layers of frescoes are saved in fragments inside it, dating in the 15th and the 17th century. In the older layer we observe the honored Saint depicted on horseback in a blind vaulting of the northern wall.

It is also worth mentioning that the work carried out within the church by the Ephorate of Byzantine antiquities of Rhodes revealed seven post-Byzantine graves with no burial offerings.


The church of St. Nicholas "Pano", as it is popularly called by the locals, is located in the center of the village, close to the church of Our Lady of Lindos. It is a vaulted church of the 15th century. Its churchyard boasts a pebbled floor of the "hohlaki" type and a carved stone belfry. The latter is a later addition constructed in 1860, which was built with local limestone from the quarry of the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Psartou. The beautiful iconostasis with vivid colors and carved decoration found inside it was constructed at a later date and it dates back to around the 17th century. Near it, hanging on the north wall, one can observe a portable icon of the honored saint depicted in a painting style similar to that of the icons on the iconostasis. Some 18th-century interventions can be observed on this icon. It is also worth noting that an impressive, ornate wooden candelabrum that belonged to this church is currently on display in the ecclesiastical museum of the Virgin of Lindos.

Saint Nicholas "Pano" is one of the three churches dedicated to the same saint found in Lindos. The particular veneration of its residents for the great patron Saint of the seas is undoubtedly connected with the great maritime tradition of the village.


 Ayios Georgios Hostos (also known as or Ayios Georgios Kato)

The small church of St. George Hostos, otherwise known as or Ayios Georgios Kato, is found on the northeast edge of Lindos. The church belongs to the domed cross-in-square type and is located in a small enclosure, the floor of which is paved with typical island pebble, the "hohlaki". On its south side, a stone inscription with an epigram of the 2nd century BC testifies that architectural elements from an earlier building were used in its construction.

The decorative murals found inside the church present great interest, since they preserve five layers of frescoes dating back to different periods. The oldest ones of them are found at a low point of the eastern wall and depict two crosses on medals. They date back to the post-Iconoclast period, probably in the 10th or 11th century. The giant impressive frescoes of Saint George the dragon-slayer, and of Archangel Michael the guide of souls which are found on the drum of the northern and southern cross-arms respectively are more recent works dating in the Late Byzantine period (probably the 17th century).


The small domed church of Ayios Minas is similar to that of Ayios Georgios Hostos. Inside it, several fragmentary parts of its once rich frescoes are preserved, from which only a small portion of the murals of the 12th and 15th century survives. The oldest preserved murals include the depictions of the Ascension and of the Hierarchs in the church arch and on the half-cylinder respectively. Also of the same period is the faded Supplication that stands out in the niche of the apse. The remaining frescoes which occupy the vaulting and intrados of the church arches date to the Hospitaller period (15th century). Although they are quite damaged, one can still discern the faces and names of the depicted Saints. Indeed, in the southern vaulting, under a depiction of Christ, there is a fresco of Saint Minas, who is rendered on horseback between angels who cross their hands on their chest as a sign of respect to the Saint.

Church of Ayios Nikolaos Kato

This church of St. Nicholas Kato is located οn the northeastern part of the settlement on the slopes of the citadel and it is a single-nave vaulted church. In its interior, traces of frescoes have not been preserved, while the iconostasis and the icons have been painted in a folk art style and date back to the late nineteenth century. There is a noteworthy presence of various marble architectural elements from ancient buildings in the nave as well as in the sanctuary. Indeed, the church's prothesis in the sanctuary has been fashioned by two such elements, which are only held in place the one on top of the other by their sheer weight.